Purchase the book Right to Recover

Right to Recover ~ Winning the Political and Religious Wars Over Stem Cell Research in America presents scientific facts that challenge readers to think for themselves rather than accept political or religious views on stem cell research.

www.nightengalepress.com


This book is available by request in bookstores nationwide.


RIGHT TO RECOVER is an Award-Winning Finalist in the Current Events: Political/Social of the National Best Books 2007 Awards. Amazon Best-selling book in biomedical category.


Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Story Behind The Books Interview

Dorothy Thompson, CEO/Founder Pump Up Your Book Promotion (www.pumpupyourbookpromotion.com), interviews Yvonne Perry, author of RIGHT TO RECOVER Winning the Political and Religious Wars over Stem Cell Research in America. This interview was originally posted at THE STORY BEHIND THE BOOKS at http://thestorybehindthebooks.blogspot.com/2007/08/right-to-recover-winning-political-and.html

Dorothy: Why did you write such a controversial book and how did you publish it?

Yvonne: Reverend Dan Bloodworth came to me in 2005 seeking a ghostwriter for his son’s story. Dan’s All-American athlete son, Brian, suffered a spinal cord injury when he was hit by lightning in 1987. Motivated by his desire to find a treatment that would allow his son to communicate and become mobile again, Dan has devoted 16 years of his life to learn everything he could about stem cell research and share that information with anyone willing to listen. I was immediately intrigued by his enthusiasm regarding stem cell research. Dan decided he was not ready to write about his son at the time since his job was taking too many of his hours, but our interview left an impression upon me.


In 2006, while working with Michael Davis on his book, FROM TRAGEDY TO TRIUMPH: A Personal Story about Living with Quadriplegia, I was reminded of the healing potential that blastocystic (also known as embryonic) stem cell research offers victims of spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, cancer, renal failure, paralysis, heart disease, and many other illnesses. H.R. 810 (the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005) was passed by Congress and quickly vetoed by President Bush. I felt furious. I could not understand why people were saying that an embryo was being killed by research. It just didn’t feel right in my spirit so I began researching to find out more. I went back to Dan Bloodworth and asked him to let me use his research material to write a book, not about his son, but FOR his son and all those who might benefit from therapies resulting from the research.


When I started my research I was sure that a publisher would want this book. I asked for higher guidance and met Valerie Connelly of Nightengale Press one week later. I pitched my book idea to her and she accepted it immediately. The next week I signed a contract and went to work in earnest to get the book finished by a deadline we both thought was realistic. What I had not expected to encounter was having the field of stem cell research change so rapidly. I kept finding new material and meeting new people in the field. It was hard to find a stopping place! My deadline was approaching and I was still digging through the material. I had to call the book finished to meet the printing date for the book to go to BEA.


After the galley copy was printed, I still made 24 pages of changes to the text for the final version. The final version is now available online and in bookstores everywhere.

No comments: